Concorde Square

Concorde Square

A trip to Paris is not complete without a visit to the largest square in the entire city. The Place de la Concorde is 86,400 square meters large and is found between the Champs-Elysées and the Tuileries Garden. As a result, sightseers can discover several Parisian landmarks all at once.
Historically, the Place de la Concorde was nothing more than a small esplanade with two drainage canals running alongside it. In 1748, the City of Paris decided to erect a statue of Louis XV on the esplanade in order to celebrate the king's recovery from an illness he had acquired in Metz. Pleased with this project, the king saw to it that the esplanade would become a royal square, with the spaces and facades to be more ornately decorated in line with the grandiosity of his name.
The grand project began in the late 1750s and was not finished until 1772. Then, in the 1780s and 1790s, the Place de la Concorde became the scene of many royal executions, including those of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette. After the Reign of Terror waged against the royals ended in the late 18th century, the Place de la Concorde once again became a spot for beauty and grandiosity. As such, in 1831 when the viceroy of Egypt presented France with two immense obelisks as a gift, one of the monuments was installed in this square, where it remains today.
Between 1836 and 1846, the Place saw further augmentations in the form of two symbolic fountains, one on each side of the obelisk. In addition to the statues and fountains that make the Place de la Concorde extraordinary, the square also features a giant ferris wheel during the fall and winter months — providing a magical bird's eye view of the City of Light.

back to the monuments

How to get there

Walking distance from the Grand Hotel du Palais Royal or two metro stations...

Hotels near to Concorde Square

Hotel Cambon Opera Paris